Monday 5 December 2011

the mind is the best weapon



I was talking to one of the guys in class the other day telling him I want him to focus more on finishing his opponents in class.
I believe Jiu-Jitsu is as much mental as it is physical.
I try emphasize this in my classes.
I think if you lack a focus in your training you will only go so far. And conditioning your mind is as important as your body.
He responded with something very interesting. He told me that he thinks he has issues with the finish because when he gets close he lets go. He explained that he has a mental block that hits him right before he goes for the finish. He continued saying that he feels if he sets his mind to finish and misses it he will experience a blow to his psyche.

This reminds me of some students that hold up the wall. When some students get tired they sit against the wall. Many times they complain about being out of shape. And I respond by reminding them the best way to stay out of shape is to stay on the wall.

It is the same with the mind. If you allow mental blocks to control the finish, you will rarely get there. But if you break through them you will strengthen your abilities beyond expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment